Monday, February 13, 2012

#82 Attempt to be a vegan

I have always been a huge animal lover, so much so take I have slapped a girl in the face for pushing my cat and almost been hit with a bat for taking a dog from a man that was mis-treating it. So, recently I began to think it really makes no sense for me to sit and preach about animal rights when I am consuming them on a daily basis and feeding into the cruelty cycle. I figured it was time to bite the bullet and tackle #82 on my list, become a vegan.

Armed with a vegan grocery list (thanks Oprah!), a month long meal plan and a couple of great vegan cookbooks, I'm set to challenge myself.
I did some of the grocery shopping last night, but quickly realized that alot of vegan products aren't available where I live. When I got home I actually broke down and ordered some of the groceries online.
Some of my veggie bounty

I have been a vegetarian off and on a few different times, so this isn't gonna be a huge shock to my system. I really enjoy the taste and texture of  soy based meat substitutes and like getting creative with recipes. And what's the worst that can happen, I have some much needed weight loss and no more meat guilt? Sounds like a win/win.

Today was day one, and so far the Quinoa and veggie soup was great and i'm always down for a fruit smoothie. I'll most likely be doing weekly updates with this and hopefully start incorporating a workout routine in as well.

I'm doing this for you little critters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Jess

P.S.: Here are some great vegan recipe sites if your interested.
Vegan Yum Yum
The Post Punk Kitchen
Skinny Bitch (I recommend buying the books)
The Kind Life ( Excellent recipes)

0 comments:

Post a Comment